Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Always be concise with your labels

The other night I decided on having enchiladas for tea. I had them previously made and frozen so it was just a case of taking them out of the freezer and sticking them in the oven. Label instructions were "Heat in 375 oven for 30 minutes." Well, it actually took longer than 30 minutes--nearer 45 but all looked well and the food was piping hot. On turning it out onto a plate I thought "Hmmmmm, what happened to the tortillas?" Deciding that the tortillas had obviously disintegrated during the freezing/reheating process I carried on but I did think that it looked a bit regurgitated. (That's a euphemism, by the way)


So we sat down and started eating. Tasted not bad but I was still looking for tell-tale signs of tortilla. Then it dawned on us: What I had put in the freezer was just the filling! I was supposed to thaw it, wrap it in tortillas, sprinkle cheese on top and "voila!" (Or "wallah" as they say here in Amerikay.) Anyway, I scraped the half-eaten regurgitation off the plates, filled a couple of tortillas, sprinkled cheese on top and stuck the whole lot back in the oven to heat it up again and melt the cheese. Now it looks right--and it tasted goooood!
Of course to any good tale there has to be a moral and it is this: When you stick something in the freezer, don't assume you'll remember what it is and don't just say (for example) "Heat in 375 oven for 30 minutes"--label the darned thing with full details and thus avoid surprises!

No comments:

Post a Comment